Blog 1

In many of my past classes we’ve talked about how science is a field of study that answers questions with more questions. To be a good scientist you have to be okay with not having all the answers and good at asking questions. A good scientist wonders and question differently than everyone else. Even this this being a popular topic discussed I’ve never made the direct connection that science is a subsection of philosophy but it completely makes sense. When I read that PhD is a Doctorate of Philosophy I was taken aback but not surprised. I gasped while reading it and went off on a tangent with my roommate about how it was unexpected yet totally obvious at the same time.
            I’ve chosen pursue a degree in the science field and like every college student I’ve gone through a quarter-life crisis wondering if I’ve chosen the right field of study and if I’ll be a good scientist. The part that every made me question myself is the third part in Darwin’s quote-discovery. Because of this I found reading about how discovery is not so simple and has high standards to be “real” interesting. I also enjoyed reading about the other two parts that make up curiosity-truth and knowledge. I feel an instinct for these as did Darwin. I wonder if this instinct is an instinct that everyone feels or if this is an instinct that unique in individuals making some people more fit to be scientist.  

            As an undergrad student I’ve taken many classes that have been half engineering students and half science students. I also changed my major from the College of Engineer to a program that differed by only 6 classes in Lyman Briggs College. Due to the similarity in education I haven’t noticed much of a difference between the two and have considered engineering to be a science. These two fields can overlap but differentiating them by saying science is discovering new truths while engineering is building new things couldn’t have been explained better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 10

Blog 7

Blog 9